Saturday, October 6, 2012

Origin of the name Nalishan

One day we went to go spend the night in the house of a Tibetan family, a homestay residing on the banks of the grand Yellow River. Not knowing what to expect, I was doubtful as the past few days had socially been exhausting- meals where I could not speak with half the table, being watched and observed constantly by countless strangers, having to attempt to communicate relentlessly through dumbed down body language. However this particular evening took me by surprise.

The old couple who greeted us were incredibly adorable and kindly, two textbook-looking ancient Tibetans, with huge smiles and the cutest panda bear faces, humble and accommodating. Their daughter also emitted a kind, naïve glow and her smile was one that genuinely warmed your heart. The food they cooked for dinner was by far the best we had had in China, and despite being up to my neck in Chinese food I easily managed to eat everything placed in front of me. During a conversation with the grandfather, he asked me what my name was in Chinese and I admitted that I did not know; because “Alexa” was too short for a real translation, he bestowed upon me the Chinese name for Alexandra- Na li Shan. The three parts of the name mean Elegant, Beautiful and Lady. Naturally, I fell in love.
Our hosts


1 comment: